- August 10, 2019
- Posted by: staff
- Category: Quality Management System
Some people finds that quality is a complicated word than it appears and according to Certified quality Engineer handbook, Quality means different things to different people and in different situations. and then the book listed some informal definitions of the quality as the following:
- Quality is not a program; it is an approach to business.
- Quality is a collection of powerful tools and concepts that are proven to work.
- Quality is defined by customers through their satisfaction.
- Quality includes continual improvement and breakthrough events.
- Quality tools and techniques are applicable in every aspect of business.
- Quality is aimed at perfection; anything less is an improvement opportunity.
- Quality increases customer satisfaction, reduces cycle time and costs, and eliminates errors and rework.
- Quality is not just for businesses. It works in nonprofit organizations such as schools, healthcare and social services, and government agencies
Formal Definitions of Quality
the above definitions show that quality is complicated to define, and no one definition can represent the meaning of quality. and then certified quality engineer hand book give us an example about quality definition from a popular online dictionary which defines the quality as “an inherent or distinguishing characteristic” (http://dictionary.reference,cin/search?q=quality); this definition is only the first of ten distinctively different definitions from the same authority. And here you can find that most of the definitions are quite specialized and not really pertinent to the practice of quality engineering. and then the book talked about the definition of quality according to ISO 8402 as it said that “Quality: the totality of features and characteristics of a product or service that bear on its ability to satisfy stated or implied needs. Not to be mistaken for “degree of excellence” or “fitness for use” which meet only part of the definition (ISO 8402)” and then the book said that this definition is really quite interesting, first because it is published by ISO, an international standards organization, and second because it specifically rebuts the definition that Joseph Juran used throughout his career, “Quality=fitness for use.”
also the definition used by Philip Crosby, “quality = conformance to specifications,” which is also narrower than ISO 8402
So here you have four quite different definitions and each can be successfully defended as the best in the right situation, there probably never will be an ultimate definition of this all-important word, as the definition is constantly evolving
And in the end the book mentioned that there are a views of eight well-known quality experts appear in the July 2001 issue of Quality Progress. Although these experts differ on details and nuances, some common themes appear in all their different quality philosophies:
- Quality improvement is a never-ending process.
- Top management commitment, knowledge, and active participation are critical.
- Management is responsible for articulating a company philosophy, goals, measurable objectives, and a change strategy.
- All employees in the organization need to be active participants.
- A common language and set pf procedures are important to communicate and support the quality effort.
- A process must be established to identify the most critical problems, determine their causes, and find solutions.
- Changes in company culture, roles, and responsibilities may be required
What is Quality According to ISO 9000:2015
In other hand we could find ISO 9000:2015 mentioned quality in clause number 2.2.1 as the following:
An organization focused on quality promotes a culture that results in the behavior, attitudes, activities and processes that deliver value through fulfilling the needs and expectations of costumes and other relevant interested parties.
The quality of an organization’s products and services is determined by the ability to satisfy customers and the intended and unintended impact on relevant interested parties.
The quality of products and services includes not only their intended and function and performance but also their perceived value and benefit to the customer.”
For more information on establishing ISO Quality Management Systems, contact: email@example.com